There have been many memorable moments in the history of penalty kicks in football. Some of the most famous include:
- Maradona’s “Hand of God” goal in the 1986 World Cup quarter-finals
- Roberto Baggio’s missed penalty in the 1994 World Cup final
- Zinedine Zidane’s headbutt in the 2006 World Cup final
- Ronaldo’s winning penalty for Real Madrid in the 2017 Champions League final
- Steven Gerrard’s missed penalty for Liverpool in the 2006 FA Cup final.
- Andres Iniesta’s winning penalty for Spain in the 2010 World Cup
- Michael Ballack’s missed penalty for Germany in the 2002 World Cup final
- Sergio Ramos’ missed penalty in the 2016 Champions League final
- Didier Drogba’s winning penalty for Chelsea in the 2012 Champions League final
- Tony Yeboah’s stunning volleyed penalty for Leeds United in 1995
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s winning penalty for Juventus in the 2019 Italian Super Cup final
- Luis Garcia’s “ghost goal” for Liverpool in the 2005 Champions League semi-final
- Alan Shearer’s penalty in the Euro ’96 quarter-finals for England
- Frank Lampard’s disallowed goal for England in the 2010 World Cup
- Paul Scholes’ winning penalty for Manchester United in the 2008 Champions League final.
These moments have left a lasting impact on the history of football and are often talked about by fans and experts alike.