Football (or soccer) is a sport that values respect and fair play. Here are some key moments in football history that demonstrate respect:
- Paolo Di Canio catches the ball: In 2001, in a match between Everton and West Ham United, Everton goalkeeper Paul Gerrard was injured and lying on the ground. West Ham striker Paolo Di Canio had an opportunity to score, but instead of taking the chance, he caught the ball and signaled for the medical staff to come onto the field to attend to the injured goalkeeper.
- Lionel Messi pays tribute to Diego Maradona: After scoring a goal for Barcelona against Osasuna in November 2020, Lionel Messi removed his shirt to reveal a Newell’s Old Boys jersey with the number 10, paying tribute to his fellow Argentine football legend Diego Maradona, who had passed away earlier that week.
- Liverpool and Manchester City show solidarity: In 2018, a bus carrying Manchester City’s team to Anfield for a match against Liverpool was attacked by Liverpool fans. Before the return leg of the match, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and his players lined up to welcome the Manchester City team bus and show their solidarity.
- Didier Drogba consoles referee: In the 2012 Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern Munich, Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was the hero, scoring the equalizing goal in the 88th minute and the winning penalty in the shootout. After the match, Drogba consoled the referee, who had lost his mother before the match.
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi mutual respect: Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are two of the greatest football players of all time and have often been rivals on the pitch. However, they have also shown respect for each other’s talents and achievements, with Ronaldo stating in an interview that he has a “good relationship” with Messi and that they have “a lot of respect” for each other.
These are just a few examples of the many instances of respect in football. From paying tribute to fallen legends to showing solidarity with opponents, football players have demonstrated that respect and fair play are important values in the sport.