Cristiano Ronaldo has had many unforgettable moments in the Portuguese national team, contributing to the team’s success and becoming a beloved figure in his home country. Here are some of Ronaldo’s best moments with the Portugal team:
CRISTIANO RONALDO POUR LE COUP-FRANC 🐐🐐🐐🐐 pic.twitter.com/8PgkJBBNVG
— NEYMARTISTE 🇧🇷 (@neymartiiste) March 23, 2023
- EURO 2004: At just 19 years old, Ronaldo made his debut in the European Championship, held in Portugal. Despite losing in the final to Greece, Ronaldo’s performances throughout the tournament, including scoring his first international goal against Greece in the opening game, were outstanding and showcased his immense talent.
- FIFA World Cup 2006: In the World Cup held in Germany, Ronaldo played a pivotal role in Portugal’s run to the semi-finals, scoring a crucial goal against Mexico in the group stage and assisting another in the knockout stage against Iran. He was also awarded the Man of the Match award in two matches, cementing his status as a star player.
- UEFA European Championship 2012: In the group stage match against the Netherlands, Ronaldo scored two goals to lead Portugal to a 2-1 victory, keeping their hopes alive in the tournament. He was later named Man of the Match, and his performance helped Portugal advance to the semi-finals.
- UEFA European Championship 2016: This tournament is perhaps Ronaldo’s most memorable moment with the Portuguese national team. Despite going off injured early in the final against France, Ronaldo was an instrumental figure throughout the tournament, scoring three goals and providing three assists. His leadership and inspiration helped Portugal win their first major international trophy, a moment that will forever be etched in the history of Portuguese football.
- UEFA Nations League 2019: Ronaldo was once again the star of the show as Portugal won the inaugural Nations League tournament, held in Portugal. He scored a hat-trick in the semi-final against Switzerland and scored the opening goal in the final against the Netherlands, earning the Man of the Match award in both matches.
In conclusion, Cristiano Ronaldo’s contributions to the Portuguese national team have been immense, and his best moments have showcased his skill, determination, and leadership. His performances in major tournaments have made him a national hero in Portugal, and his legacy in the country’s footballing history is secure.