Lionel Messi and Argentina fans have shared many memorable moments in their history of football. Here are some of the highlights:
- Messi scored his first goal for Argentina in a friendly match against Croatia on March 1, 2006, at the age of 18. He became the youngest Argentine to score for the national team.
- Messi led Argentina to win the FIFA World Cup™️ in Qatar in 2022, after defeating France in an extraordinary final with a pulsating penalty shoot-out victory. He lifted the trophy in front of a sky blue wall of Argentina fans and celebrated with his family and teammates. It was Messi’s first World Cup title and Argentina’s third.
- Messi also won the Golden Ball award as the best player of the tournament, scoring six goals and providing four assists in seven matches. He scored a superb goal in the 2-0 win over Mexico in the group stage, a hat-trick in the 4-3 win over Australia in the round of 16, and the decisive penalty in the shoot-out against France in the final.
- Messi became the all-time leading scorer for Argentina with 93 goals, surpassing Gabriel Batistuta’s record of 56. He also became the second-highest scorer in World Cup history with 21 goals, behind only Miroslav Klose’s 24.
- Messi received a hero’s welcome in Buenos Aires, where millions of fans flocked to the streets to celebrate the World Cup triumph. He took the trophy to the people and thanked them for their support. He also dedicated the victory to his late friend and idol Diego Maradona, who passed away in 2020.